Q: After replacements, including starter, flexplate had been installed backwards

After taking my car to the auto repair shop, they replaced the flex plate. The starter worked for a while, but then started having a grinding sounds. I then had the mechanic replace the starter, thinking it was a bad one. When this mechanic replaced the starter, he told me that the previous guy had installed the flex plate backwards. Can you suggest any place I might contact to have a proper form to give to the first mechanic so they will correct this or refund my payment?

Hello. Any major transmission work that is performed by an automotive service facility is almost always under warranty at least for a short period of time. If the repair was done incorrectly, you should just need your receipt from the original service done by the first mechanic. You should be able to simply present your receipt at the original mechanic shop and they will likely repair the damages free of charge. If the shop gives you any grief over this issue and refuses to repair the vehicle, you may unfortunately have to get an attorney involved in order to settle your losses with the company that repaired your vehicle incorrectly.

• After replacements, including starter, flexplate had been installed backwards