Q: After numerous no-starts on rainy days I've decided to replace the distributor cap, rotor, sparkplugs & wires.

Regarding my 2001 CHEVY ASTRO VAN: I'm new in town, and I'm a woman. The local mechanic wants to charge me over $600 for parts and labor. I've found parts (distr. cap, distr. rotor, sparkplugs, sparkplug wires) at a fraction of the cost that I was quoted at partsavatar.ca and am thinking of ordering the parts myself and then having the mechanic do the work.
But I was told by the local mechanic that it would take 3 hours to do the work of replacing these parts.

All I want to know (for now) is whether this time estimate (3 hours) is reasonable? I'm happy to pay for what's fair, but I'm just so woefully ignorant about mechanical issues.

Hi there. What made you determine that the parts you stated were the cause of the no start? If these parts fail, an engine drivability concern quickly follows. I do not feel confident that replacing these parts will alleviate the no start concern. Have you had the battery tested with a digital battery tester that provides cold cranking amps, current voltage, and state of health? Has the starter been inspected? Is corrosion present on the battery, terminals, cables? Is there oil contamination on the starter? I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Guessing at a diagnosis can get very expensive very quickly. Your Mechanic has several technicians available that can assist you with a car does not start inspection, distributor cap and rotor replacement, spark plug wires replacement, and spark plugs replacement.

3. After numerous no-starts on rainy days I've decided to replace the distributor cap, rotor, sparkplugs & wires.