Q: Apparent timing chain failure.

After having my engine rebuilt and a new timing chain put in about 1 1/2 years ago. It seems to have happened again. I had just had a shop install all new clutch system. And as I replaced the fuel line sensor and tried cranking it up. It made a pound clacking noise and now won't even turn over. My question is how "often" do the timing chains give out?

A: Hello there, timing chains in most cases la...

Hello there, timing chains in most cases last a long time on your 2003 Ford Mustang. The fuel line repair should not have had anything to do with the timing chain issue. In cases where a timing chain is suspected of breaking the engine should not be attempted to start or run at all until the problem has been diagnosed fully. It would be very unusual for a timing chain to fail, like yours has. Common failure points are the timing chain guides, chain pulley, cam sprockets, or a faulty chain. A qualified Technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your timing chain issues and make any repairs required to resolve the issue.

A: Hello. Most timing chains are rated to las...

Hello. Most timing chains are rated to last between 70 to 100k miles, depending on the engine. In some cases timing chains can even last well over 100k miles if the engine is properly maintained, though most manufacturers will usually recommend a replacement before then. If it appears that your engine may have suffered timing chain failure after less than two years that could be considered out of the ordinary, assuming quality parts were used and the job done carefully. If it is no longer turning over, then that may be a sign that there is an issue with the starting system, or that the engine may perhaps be seized. I would contact the shop that replaced the timing chain to see if there is any sort of warranty on the work.