Q: After diagnosis of no problems, car won't start properly

The auto shop had my car for over a week. When I picked it up, they reported that they couldn’t find any problem at all. After driving it home, it sits like it doesn’t want to start again. The battery is at full charge (per aaa) and the ‘key’ light is on. My key fob has 2 new batteries The car’s tank is ½ full of gasoline. I can’t figure out what’s going on! I’ve tried anything and everything that I know to try or do. And they said there’s nothing wrong with the car! Can you tell me what is causing this?

A: The key light coming on means that the vehi...

The key light coming on means that the vehicle is not recognizing your key. The light illumination comes in conjunction with a numeric code, which will specify the reason the key light illuminates. It is possible that you have a broken antenna inside of the fob, which is causing the intermittent no start condition of the vehicle.

A technician with a scan tool capable of security features and key fob tester would be able to help you exactly identify your problem. The key fob itself could be compromised internally or the security system of the vehicle may require reprogramming. I recommend having a certified technician from YourMechanic come to your car's location to diagnose the no-start issue in person and let you know what needs repair.