Q: After a loud metalic squeal, truck will start but won't run.

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0 V6. Serpentine belt's been squealing but wasn't appearing to slip. Two days ago truck started making noise like a plastic ticking sound. Parked it and when starting it this morning, it made a metallic squeal. I turned it off, then tried to restart it and it starts, but won't run. The fan and serpentine belt seem to be in place.

Hello. If there is an issue with the drive belt, the engine will start but not run, exactly like you are describing. The issue is either coming from the drive belt not proving power to the rest of the engine, or the engine is having mechanical issues and not providing the drive belt with power. Considering there was a noise coming from the drive belt to being with, you want to focus your attention there first. Check the pulleys for excess play, the belt for any signs of stretching or wear, and make sure the belt is tight. If you could hear the belt skipping or slipping, and at the cost of a belt, you should replace it anyway. Only further inspection will tell, and if replacing the belt does not solve the issue, you need to focus in on looking at the individual pulleys. Contact our service department to for more help resolving the issue.