Q: After 7 miles, car will not shift into 2nd gear

I am having trouble with my older model car not shifting from 1st to 2nd. This happens after the first 7 miles when I'm driving. I had the transmission rebuilt. The kick-down linkage was missing and they replaced it with a kick-down cable. Two-speed powerglide and cast iron with a 283 Chevy engine. For the first 7 miles, it runs and shifts just fine. But then it will not shift into 2nd gear. If I rest the car for 10-15 minutes, then the car car starts fine and will drive for 7 more miles. This is a very slow way to get around! What is causing this shifting problem and what do I need to do to correct it?

A: Hello there, thank you for asking about you...

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air. There are several potential causes for your concern. The first thing to check is the governor, since it is not internal to the transmission. Governor pressure works against throttle valve pressure to control upshifts. If everything is OK there, suspect a stuck shift valve or worn clutch pack. A trained professional, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your shifting problem and point you to the necessary repairs.