Q: Advice on where to repair your car

What's the deal with Jiffy Lube? I went there for an oil change and ended up telling me that my car is falling apart. They tried to charge me an arm and a leg for repairs I knew I didn't need. Said my brakes were bad and I replaced them earlier that week.

A: Unfortunately, for a lot of those chain pla...

Unfortunately, for a lot of those chain places, they pay these kids minimum wages and they get a tip or commission on whatever they sell you. If they sell you an air filter, they get like 50 cents and if they sell you a brake job, maybe they will get a 20 dollars tip. You don't want to go to some place that has minimum wages kids working. They don't use real mechanics. It's unfortunate but I've had that happened.

My father had a gas station and one time we were on a vacation, and they tried to sell him all this extra stuff and we laughed. Because we said, "We changed that yesterday, before we went on a trip. We don't need that, we just want the oil changed." We changed the oil but basically, I stay away from the places like that because they try to rip you off. If you want the advice and professionalism of a real mechanic, the certified at technicians of YourMechanic are trustworthy team to go to for advice, maintenance, and repairs.