Q: Advice on buying a '93 Lexus SE with a 2JZ engine with a blown head gasket

I'm about to buy a '93 Lexus SE 300 with a 2JZ engine for 400 bucks. The problem is it is running hot and the head gasket may be blown. Do you think it would be a smart buy if I fixed it myself?

If they did blow the head gasket, there is no saying what they did to the engine. You can of course, take it apart. It’s a nice engine. It’s a straight six -- not a V6. So you only have to take one head gasket off instead of two. Try and see what happens. It’s worthwhile.

Now, there are a lot of those engines at the junk yard so try a used engine if that doesn’t work. Those are fun cars. A lot of engines that Toyota makes will fix those things. Those cars are so old now that, when one gets even in a minor wreck, it’s a total buy in by an insurance company, so it ends up in a junk yard but the engine might still be good.

• Advice on buying a '93 Lexus SE with a 2JZ engine with a blown head gasket