Q: Advice on buying a '93 Lexus SE with a 2JZ engine with a blown head gasket

I'm about to buy a '93 Lexus SE 300 with a 2JZ engine for 400 bucks. The problem is it is running hot and the head gasket may be blown. Do you think it would be a smart buy if I fixed it myself?

A: If they did blow the head gasket, there is ...

If they did blow the head gasket, there is no saying what they did to the engine. You can of course, take it apart. It’s a nice engine. It’s a straight six -- not a V6. So you only have to take one head gasket off instead of two. Try and see what happens. It’s worthwhile.

Now, there are a lot of those engines at the junk yard so try a used engine if that doesn’t work. Those are fun cars. A lot of engines that Toyota makes will fix those things. Those cars are so old now that, when one gets even in a minor wreck, it’s a total buy in by an insurance company, so it ends up in a junk yard but the engine might still be good.