Q: Advice for winter tires

Stock tires for my car are 205 55r16 size tires. Im wondering if 205 55r17 will fit my car. My car is also 4 wheel ralliart lancer. If so, what are some of the best of the best high quality winter tires. I know that michelin x-ice xi3 tires are really good winter tires but they dont sell in my car size. I need some recommendations. Also, if i just got two winter tires and put one in the front and one in the back, would it larger prevent my car from slipping. I know that it wont be as good as 4 good tires but im wondering if that idea of one tires in the back and front are winter tires, would it be healthy for my car or if i intend to get only two tires, should i just put the two in the back or the front, which would be best. I'm just trying to prevent slipping in the snow as much as possible.

205/55R17 may be too tall for your vehicle. A couple of good sources to check size compatibility for your vehicle would be tirerack.com or maybe discounttire.com. Sites like Tire Rack specialize in winter tire packages and is a good source for fitment options. I have personally used Bridgestone and Dunlop snow tires and would recommend either. However, it is highly recommended that winter tires be mounted at all 4 corners. Having different tires with different capabilities not only makes the vehicle unstable, it will effect systems like the anti-lock brakes and traction control. Winter tires perform much better than summer or all-season tires do in ice and snow conditions. Having two tires with good winter traction and two with poor traction will have the anti-lock brake system working overtime. Also, sticking with a smaller tire for winter use is advisable. For ice and snow driving, you want the opposite for summer driving. Wide, low profile tires improve warm, dry weather driving. Tall, narrow, tires provide better control on snow and ice. Consider keeping your stock 16 inch wheels for winter use with winter tires mounted on them and maybe a nice set of 17 inch wheels and tires for summer use. I’ve done that with nearly every vehicle I’ve owned whether front, rear, or all-wheel drive.

3. Advice for winter tires