Q: Added 2 quarts of oil about two weeks ago, oil is almost gone now.

I can't smell any oil being burnt but ive been checking the oil at least once a week since I have gotten it. Recently, I am noticing the oil on the dipstick drolping considerably within 2 weeks. I don't have much more info. I downshift a fair amount which ive heard burns oil...but other than that, the car runs incredibly and everything. Thank you for your time.

A: Broadly, if you are using more than 1 quart...

Broadly, if you are using more than 1 quart during a 1,000 to 2,000 mile interval, then the oil consumption is considered excessive. So, you should be able to go at least 1,000 miles without losing more than 1 quart, preferably 2,000 miles or much more, but 1,000 miles is basically the lower limit of "reasonableness". Regardless of where you fall in the "rate of oil consumption spectrum", you can always check for leaks. If you see oil on the ground after your car has been parked a few hours, or if you see visible oil on the engine and lower frame, you have leaks that are contributing to your oil consumption. Then there are internal engine leaks, caused by worn valve stem oil seals and piston rings. In addition, a faulty PCV valve and system can raise crankcase pressures, tending to force oil into the cylinders on the intake stroke when vacuum is high. All of these possibilities can be evaluated and repaired by a certified Mechanic during a leak inspection. If you desire that service, please visit YourMechanics’s website to set up a mobile visit right to your location.