Q: Accelerator pump not sealing

Hi,my accelerator pump is not sealing properly.There is always a bit of fuel at the top of the pump plunger where the rubber boot is.As a result,my fuel bowl level drops from centre of the glass to about a quarter and sometimes will be back up to halfway where it should be.Its an aftermarket carb which is identical to the Aisan 22B carb which was on my car.Is there something i can do to make the plunger fit more snug in the tube?? The accelerator pump squirts as it should

A: Hi there. The problem with replacing an OEM...

Hi there. The problem with replacing an OEM product with an aftermarket version is that sometimes things don’t always align perfectly. If the accelerator pump and carburetor are not made by the same company, the issue with sealing and having plunger issues you’re describing is common. What most mechanics typically do in this situation is replacing both the accelerator pump and the carburetor so they match and fit correctly. If the accelerator pump is squirting correctly and not impacting your engine performance; I’d suggest either leaving it alone or finding a replacement accelerator pump that matches your aftermarket carburetor. A certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location inspect the car and replace the pump for you if necessary.