Q: Acceleration inoperative gas pedal - 1992 Plymouth Acclaim

I’m having trouble with accelerating my car. When I press on the gas pedal it is useless. So I changed the fuel filter, cut off the catalytic converter and straight piped it. This didn’t help my car accelerate any better and my gas pedal is inoperative. Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do to make my car run normally?

A: Hi there, thank you for your question. Ther...

Hi there, thank you for your question. There is a mechanical link between the throttle pedal and the throttle body on the engine, usually called the throttle cable. Check this part to see if it broken or has stretched over time. If there is too much slack in the cable, the throttle butterfly valve will not open properly. If this is the case and you’d like help replacing the throttle cable, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office and do it for you.