Q: AC not working

My car AC has stopped working. It has full gas pressure but the AC does not turn on. There is NO cooling. Blower is working fine. Heat is also working. A mechanic said, the compressor and clutch has to be replaced. Total cost of repair would be 550 usd. Is that correct?

It depends on the type of compressor you have. If it is the type that has a clutch and field coil, then the clutch coil may need to be replaced if it tests out of specifications.

If you have the clutch-less type compressor then the compressor needs to be replaced as an assembly. I recommend having the system checked by a certified A/C mechanic like one from YourMechanic to come to you and verify the failure and diagnose the A/C to see if you are getting power to the compressor to turn it on or not. The most common problem for this, however, is the A/C compressor coil or compressor assembly.

3. AC not working