Q: AC not working

Dealer said that the compressor was not engaging and recommended compressor replacement. Is that the only option? How frequently do Acura MDX compressors fail?

A: Compressors are a common repair in any vehi...

Compressors are a common repair in any vehicle. Acura, or any other car maker, does not make their compressors. They are built by other companies. Your’s is a Nippondenso. The air conditioning system is complex. There are many parts working together. The most common problems are leaks. If not repaired correctly, the system will degrade from the inside. Air or moisture in the system will damage the new compressor. Too little, or too much refrigerant or oil and you will not get cold air. There are many electrical aspects as well. Pressure sensors, temperature sensors, switches, the compressor clutch, and cooling fans. The car’s engine computer, and body computer are involved. As long as it was diagnosed correctly, there’s nothing unusual about compressor replacement. All I can recommend is to inquire about the dealers guarantee for parts and labor. Improper AC repair can create a trainwreck of other problems. If you would like a second opinion, or a quote, consider YourMechanic. One of our mobile experts can help you with these checks to properly diagnose your A/C issue.