Q: AC malfunction

I have problems with the air conditioning that doesn't cool anymore. The condenser fan was broken so I had it replaced. This repair did help somewhat but hasn't fixed the problem. When the AC is on, the compressor starts working as well. I had the freon added also. The AC still doesn't work correctly. What should I do?

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in about your ...

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 1994 Mercedes-Benz 300D. This sounds like you may have a leak in your A/C system. I would start by checking the various fittings and hoses for leaks. Check the hose manifolds on the compressor and check the front seal and O-rings sealing the pressure switches on the back of the compressor. Make sure all hoses are crimped onto the fittings. If you need help with this, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the AC system and pinpoint what repairs are necessary.