Q: AC making noise 3 for years

My AC has been making noise for 3 years. Yesterday, it stopped making noise and stopped working. Now I get a flashing AC light. I found a replacement compressor with clutch for $113 on eBay and $130 on Amazon. Others cost $250 to $350. Is there any reason not to use the less expensive ones? I checked and the relay is OK.

Hi, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to provide my insight. The difference in price is usually a difference in warranty and whether the product is new or refurbished, or in some cases, used. Typically, parts on eBay and Amazon do not come with any kind of warranty on the part. This is essentially the difference in price. Also, don’t forget to read the fine print. These may also be used products as well, rather than being brand new and not used at all. Hope this helps and best of luck.

If you would like help replacing your compressor, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to perform the replacement for you.