Q: AC is not working at all now

The air conditioning no longer works in my 2009 Subaru Forester. It may have been broken for a while, winter just ended after all. It hit 80 today and I went to use it… no such luck. I suspect the compressor is affected, thing is making a weird whine. This car has 26,000 miles on it and I need this AC repaired right away. Is this a normal problem to have or should I have it inspected more thoroughly?

Greetings and thank you for writing in with this question. This is not a normal problem for the mileage. It is possible that the compressor clutch is failing. This could be due to an electrical, mechanical, or refrigerant charge related problem. A professional at YourMechanic can diagnose your system by hooking up pressure gauges to check the refrigerant charge, as well as performing additional electrical tests to ensure that all pressure sensors and system controls are functioning properly.