Q: AC compressor squeals - 1991 GMC G2500

The AC compressor on my van has been malfunctioning lately. It makes squealing sounds. When it's running, it is very loud. How can I fix this?

A: Hey there. With the engine off, see if you ...

Hey there. With the engine off, see if you can turn the AC compressor by hand all the way around. Look at the gap between the clutch and the pulley on the top and bottom to see it it is equal all the way around and the gap is less than .025 inches. Check to make sure belt is tight and belt is not oily or damaged. If the clutch is slipping due to problems it will show up with A/C gauges hooked up as a erratic gauge or excessive high pressures causing slippage. Your AC clutch or complete compressor may need to be replaced.