Q: AC compressor clutch out of place.

My AC compressor clutch plate is out of place. This is causing it to make noise and I can smell burning plastic.

Hello. I’m sorry, I did not see your vehicle model and engine size. However, this concern plagues many vehicles. The air conditioning compressor must be replaced in order to correct your situation. The bearings inside the assembly have failed and may cause more damage as this component is connected to other systems by a belt drive system. Generally, the receiver/dryer is replaced along with the compressor and a flush done to ensure debris, from a possible internal failure, does not damage new components. A certified mechanic, like the ones at YourMechanic, can assist you with this problem.

3. AC compressor clutch out of place.