Q: Ac compressor

Car is making a knocking noise when I’m driving starts as soon as the car is cut on even without the a/c being on AutoZone guy says that the pulley on the AC compressor is worn down/broken. My question is do I need a whole new AC compressor or can I just buy the pulley and have a mechanic replace the old pulley with the new one? I don’t care if the a/c doesn’t work since it’s winter. Also should I stop driving the car until it’s fixed?

Hi Nuriyah. You can and should replace the AC compressor pulley. The longer the pulley wears out, it can create additional drag on the serpentine belt and cause it to break prematurely. This would render the car useless.

3. Ac compressor