Q: AC automatic turns off

Air condition does not cools fully. AC turns OFF automatically (Fan is still working) in between and then turns back ON even when temperature is set at lowest point. What needs to be fixed? Does it need Freon ?

At 124000 miles, I would recommend having your AC system recharged and your system pressures checked. Hopefully, a recharge will correct your problem, but it will be a good service to have for maintenance regardless.

You may have a bad AC compressor or expansion valve. In either case, it will not be inexpensive if a recharge doesn’t fix your problem. My best recommendation would be to have a visual inspection of the AC and a full charge of refrigerant to test it properly and determine the source of the problem.

Also, keep in mind that AC systems naturally leak a few ounces of refrigerant a year, so there may not be a severe problem

3. AC automatic turns off