Q: ABS lights come on with bell noise

My Lincoln has 100000 miles on it. I have a problem that happens intermittently where the ABS lights come on and it makes a bell noise. It doesn't happen all the time, but every now and then. A shop I took it too diagnoses it as a bad ABS control module. The part is discontinued and expensive if you can find one. Does it have to be programmed before installing?

A: If the problem is intermittent, then I woul...

If the problem is intermittent, then I would recommend having the connection to the ABS module disconnected, the connection cleaned, and then a dielectric sealant put on the connector pins to stop or mitigate any corrosion. This may correct the condition if the problem was a connection issue and not a module issue. I would try this before trying to find and replace the module. The new module would need to be programmed, and if you put in a used one it may not function or be able to work since it was programmed to another vehicle. To have this inspected, a technician from YourMechanic can diagnose your ABS Light and determine what repairs are needed.