Q: Abnormal oil loss

Hie...my 2006 bmw e90, petrol has of late started loosing oil at an alarming rate.started around june or july. Took it to a mechanic who amongst other things a profile gasket...told me the oil level sensor was faulty. Bought the oil level sensor. The other mechanic who changed the oil level sensor about 2months after the service and profile gasket change, realised the oil leaks underneath the car, esp to the right. He couldnt tell exactly where the leak was from and adviced to have it inspected by the guy who did the initial work. Took it back to the initial garage a week ago. They changed the oil sump gasket as well as the oil filter housing seals...now after just a week, i have noticed an abnormal oil loss, and when you press the accelerator, the is a blue smoke from the accelerator. But the is no oil leakages noted on the floor..please help....note that there are no codes on the machine. pkelebeletse@yahoo.com

A: Blue smoke from the tailpipe, either at idl...

Blue smoke from the tailpipe, either at idle or under power, is an indication that the engine is consuming oil internally. Common causes for oil consumption are oil getting past the piston rings into the combustion chamber or oil leaking through the valve seals into the combustion chamber. Oil is then being burned along with the fuel and air, and the result is the blue smoke from the tailpipe. Removal and inspection of the spark plugs will most likely show them to be wet with oil or very black with carbon-like deposits from burning the oil. The blue smoke was most likely coming from the tailpipe for some time before you noticed it and is completely unrelated to any gaskets or seals that were leaking oil. It would be best to perform an oil consumption test. To do so, change the oil and document its level. Then, after you've driven the vehicle 500 miles or so, check the oil level again. Also, it would perhaps be a good idea to perform a compression test of all the cylinders and compare the readings to BMW specifications. If you would like some professional assistance with this issue, feel free to contact a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose your low oil level problem.