Q: A car I just purchased is having issues. The power steering when out and came back. Now all the gauges on the dash board are flick

A car I just purchased is having issues. The power steering went out so I turned the car off and restarted it. It starting working again but the steering lock light came on. And Now all the gauges on the dash board are flickering and the car is losing power. I drove the car to work again today and the same thing was happening . When I got within a few miles of work. It all of a sudden just came back to normal, can you advise what the issue is, and if it's fixable?

Many 2007 Cobalts were recalled to repair faults in the power steering system. To determine if you vehicle was included in the power steering recall, please use NHTSA’s VIN lookup tool. You may have to visit a dealer or call Chevrolet at 1-800-222-1020, as well, to determine if your specific vehicle was actually repaired. Sometimes owners don’t take their vehicles in for recall repairs so even though your car might have been recalled, that doesn’t mean it was actually fixed.

If the recall does not apply, you can schedule a power steering malfunction diagnostic - loss of assist and the problem will be diagnosed and repaired by a certified mechanic from YourMechanic. With regard to the incidents you are experiencing with loss of engine power, the cause of that can be diagnosed, and any required repairs made, if you request an engine loss of power diagnostic. To give you an initial idea of causes of loss of power, although there are many possibilities, a partial list would include oxygen sensors, fuel pump and/or filter, vacuum leaks, ignition system malfunctions, bad valve timing if the timing belt or chain is worn or skipped, blocked exhaust (e.g., catalytic converter fails or become clogged), airflow sensor, throttle position sensor, and so forth. Whatever the cause, if you request the engine loss of power diagnostic, the certified mechanic will get this resolved promptly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. A car I just purchased is having issues. The power steering when out and came back. Now all the gauges on the dash board are flick