Q: A/C not blowing cold

2013 VW Jetta SE 51k miles... My ac only blows somewhat cold at high rpms .. All other times it blows HOT air. My heat works perfect. I'm assuming it's the compressor .. Would anyone agree with me? If not, what else are the possibilities

Hi there, thanks for writing in.

Your Jetta uses whats called a variable displacement compressor, meaning that it’s always spinning. This means you can’t simply look at the compressor and see if its running or not, as there is no clutch on it. You will need to have someone hook up a scan tool while the a/c is turned on and see if the compressor is being told to be engaged or not, also whether or not it actually is. You will also need to have a/c pressure gauges on the vehicle, and monitor the high side and low side pressures of the a/c system. Compressor failures are common on these vehicles, though you should still have a proper a/c diagnosis performed to verify the cause.