Q: A/C intermittently started turning off

The A/C compressor in my vehicle is having some issues. Intermittently it started turning Off (while driving) and sometimes the A/C compressor will restart by pressing “Off” on the A/C panel and then pressing “Auto” again. This process does not always work, but sometimes it does. When I told the local dealership about this, they had a difficult time locating the problem. They have checked the a/c pressure - normal. Checked the relays but no avail. They ended up just performing a refrigerant refill. It was a temporary fix only because after a week the problem came again. Could it possibly be the contacts having a problem somewhere on the A/C compressor or relay - or what do you think is causing all of this?

Intermittent problems can be such a pain to diagnose, as the problem is not always present or reproducible. This system is controlled on and off by a refrigerant pressure switch that has been known to drive some Insight owners insane because the pressure switch will cause the system to just stop working at times and even shutting down the AC system may not reset the system to work.

If the pressure switch has not been replaced, then that is the first place to start. The refrigerant should be reclaimed and refilled to specification during the course of the repair. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the proper equipment and certification to diagnose, service, and repair your AC system.

3. A/C intermittently started turning off