Q: 99 Mazda 626 not starting. Makes a sounds like a lighter flicking and that's it. 1999 Mazda 626

My mazda will not turn over at all basically. I put the key in turn it and I get a click sound and then nothing. Lights come on for a second but that's until you turn the key all the way and the click happens the everytime slowly dies off. I've replaced a alternator and relays, checked the battery, battery cables and fuses. So I've narrowed it down to the starter, ignition coil/switch, or sparkplug and wires. My main question is there anything I haven't tried besides hitting the starter? And how can I narrow down the exact issue?

Hi there - first task is to extract any problem codes, whether the Check Engine light is on or not. Check for good battery and ground connection on the main battery cables and engine ground straps. A bad connection can show 12v on a voltmeter, but won’t pass the heavy current you need to spin the starter. You don’t specifically mention it, but there is a starter relay (in the engine bay fuse box), that can fail and act in this fashion. The "Click" you describe does sound like the starter solenoid getting energized, but not passing any current to the start motor. That would be good to confirm with a voltmeter, then the repair might be easy - bad solenoid/starter. For additional assistance, I recommend a no start inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. 99 Mazda 626 not starting. Makes a sounds like a lighter flicking and that's it. 1999 Mazda 626