Q: 99 Dodge Ram 1500 gets gutless around 55

I've got a '99 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.2. It has normal power but around 55 it starts to get gutless. Could it be the catalytic converter?

A: It certainly could be. It's a very comm...

It certainly could be. It's a very common thing that would happen with the catalytic converter. Often, it is the catalytic converter or the fuel pump. You can have them both pressure tested. For the catalytic converter, I've got a video that shows how to check it.

Gauges are hooked up before and after the catalytic converter. If there is 5 pounds of pressure before the catalytic converter, and hardly anything after the it, then the catalytic converter is clogged and needs replacement.

The fuel pump itself, if it's bad, can be pressure tested. They are the other way around. They are supposed to have a certain amount of pressure and if they have less pressure then they are no good. If you need help with this, a technician from YourMechanic can inspect the car for loss of power. If necessary, they can replace the fuel pump or catalytic converter if they are faulty.