Q: 97 Civic Ex AT- there is a delay in shifting when stopped at a stop light. It gets stuck between 10 to 15 miles

When my car is stopped at a red light and I try to go when the light turns green, the speed on my car would not exceed 10 to 15 mph. I have to pedal to the medal for it to finally go but I notice that my RPM Gauge jumps real high also. Is this a solenoid problem or a possible transmission giving out? This only happens when the engine gets hot.

Hi there. What you are describing is typically an indication of a slipping transmission. In most cases the actual problem is the efficient flow of transmission fluid through the hydraulic lines of the transmission. Sometimes the simple act of having transmission fluid service completed, which is essentially flushing the transmission fluid and replacing the transmission filter, can significantly improve the operation of the transmission. In other cases, internal damage to the torque converter can also cause this type of symptom as well. I’d recommend having the transmission fluid flushed first to see if this improves the symptoms you are experiencing. If it does not, it might be a good idea to look for a different vehicle as the transmission repairs will possibly cost more than the vehicle’s overall value.

• 97 Civic Ex AT- there is a delay in shifting when stopped at a stop light. It gets stuck between 10 to 15 miles