Q: My 96 Camry has a code for the EGR Valve. What is the EGR?

Hello ! My 96 camry LE check engine light reads "EGR valve replacement" the car has 204,000 miles and runs like a beast. I was wondering if it is actually the EGR valve or some thing else? Once a month, it has trouble starting..and I have to give it gas because the RPMS drop if I don't. Any ideas ?

EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. The EGR valve is a valve that is placed between the intake and exhaust stream of your car for the purpose of introducing small amounts of exhaust into the intake stream under certain conditions. The presence of the inert exhaust gas in the combustion chamber actually cools down the combustion process a little and can help prevent the formation of NOx, one of the more offensive gasses that comes out of the tailpipe. When an EGR valve gets old, it can get sticky and cranky and not want to open or close all the way. The car’s self diagnostics can detect the failure and notify you via the check engine light and trouble codes. It’s possible that it may be responsible for your idling problem if it is stuck in the open position, but that problem could also be something unrelated. If you contact Your Mechanic, they can send a technician to your home or office to fix your EGR and let you know if that is related to your idling problem.

3. My 96 Camry has a code for the EGR Valve. What is the EGR?