Q: 93 Mercury Tracer - starts and runs well. Reverse and low gears seem to work ok, but I haven't gotten it to shift into drive.

Starts and runs well, has shifting problems with the automatic transmission. Reverse and low gears seem to work ok, but I haven't gotten it to shift into drive.

Hi there. In older automatic transmissions, a common problem that causes issues like you’ve described is when inner seals begin to fail. If this is the case, you’ll have to have the transmission rebuilt (which might be a better idea to buy a newer car if this is needed). Another problem that might be the source of your hard to shift issue is simply the quality of the transmission fluid. If it has not been flushed recently, it may be time to flush the transmission fluid and replace the filter. I would start by having transmission fluid service completed as it is affordable and might be the solution to help your Mercury shift correctly.

3. 93 Mercury Tracer - starts and runs well. Reverse and low gears seem to work ok, but I haven't gotten it to shift into drive.