Q: 73 SB Dart stalls at idle. Hard to restart, will drive fine when given gas and cool

Car will run fine when given gas. Originally a slant 6 car, carburated 360 with vacuum secondarys. Car will randomly die at idle and if you slam the gas and let up real quick it can also die. Restarts fine after its cooled off for a while. Fuel delivery problem? Vapor lock? I don't know where to start.

As with any car, first you want to check for air leaks. Any hoses or fittings connected to the intake that are in bad condition can let in air and cause the kind of bad behavior you describe. Next you need to be sure that all the cylinders are firing and that the ignition timing and advance are correct. Then you can start worrying about the carburetor. Old carburetors are a tricky business and the four barrel carb’s have more moving parts than a Swiss pocket watch. So I don’t recommend messing with it yourself unless you have lots of experience or a very adventurous spirit. If you decide to get some help with this, contact Your Mechanic. They will send a technician to your home or office to check out you idling problem and let you know what it will take to fix it.

3. 73 SB Dart stalls at idle. Hard to restart, will drive fine when given gas and cool