Q: 6 bolts replacing waterpump. 1 bolt is 2x as long as others. Is this right and if so where does the long bolt go?

I am replacing a waterpump in a nissan 1999 2WD pathfinder. There are 6 bolts. 4 are similar in length. 1 has a head that allows for attaching timing guard. 1 is twice as long as the others. Is this right? And if so, which hole does the 2X bolt go?

The six bolts used to mount the pump to the block go through bosses or stand-offs on the pump. Those stand-offs vary in depth, so you just simply want to put the ”longest” bolt in the pump stand-off that is deepest. The foregoing assumes that the six threaded holes in the engine block are all the same depth. If, however, the threaded holes in the block vary in depth, just add the depth of the hole in the block to the depth of the stand-off to determine which bolt goes in which hole. The pump can ONLY be installed using a calibrated inch-pound torque wrench because uneven tightening of the pump will distort the pump sealing surface and cause leaks. Each of the six bolts should be tightened, in several passes, using a star pattern, to 12 to 15 ft. lbs. YourMechanic offers mobile water pump replacement which is economical and convenient. To request that service, please use YourMechanic’s water pump replacement service page. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

• 6 bolts replacing waterpump. 1 bolt is 2x as long as others. Is this right and if so where does the long bolt go?