Q: 5 speed manual

im looking to do a 5 speed swap in my s10, im going to look at a 5 speed for it soon, the transmission is out of the truck and its on the floor of his garage, is there any ways for me to see if ther is anything wrong with it or if its fine? thanks.

A: Hi there: Unless you’re a transmission spe...

Hi there:

Unless you’re a transmission specialist, it’s very difficult to complete a physical inspection on a five-speed transmission if it’s out of the vehicle. Some of the basic things you’ll want to inspect are transmission seals, that the gears shift easy when you move linkage and that the condition of the transmission pan and gasket. If you purchase it, you might want to replace the pan and gasket, any seals and replace all fluids before the install to be on the safe side. The condition of the clutch is just as important, so you might want to read this article so you understand how these systems work.