Q: 4WD WAS NOT ENGAGING A COUPLE DAYS AGO AND THE SERVICE 4WD CAME ON. NOW ITS WORKING AND NO LIGHT IS ON WHATS WRONG?

A COUPLE DAYS AGO MY 4 WHEEL DRIVE WOULD NOT ENGAGE INTO ANY SETTING. THE LIGHTS ON THE SWITCH WERE JUST FLASHING AND THEN THE SERVICE 4 WHEEL DRIVE LIGHT CAME ON. I CHECKED SOME FUSES AND UNPLUGGED THE 4 WHEEL DRIVE ACTUATOR AND PLUGGED IT BACK IN. SO I LEFT IT ALONE AND WENT TO TRY IT AGAIN TODAY BECAUSE WE HAVE ALOT OF SNOW, AND NOW THE 4 WHEEL DRIVE IS WORKING FINE AND THERE IS NO LIGHT ON FOR SERVICE 4 WHEEL DRIVE. WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM?

The flashing light on the switch is simply letting you know there has been a system malfunction, which of course you would know because the 4wd is not working.

There are number of common failures with the Chevrolet 4wd system. Even so, you may have fixed it by unplugging and plugging in the actuator. Bad connections at connectors are among the most common problems with every automotive system. Especially one with components exposed to the elements as this actuator is. I would accept it as fixed for the moment.

With that said, there are several other common failure items. Among them, the switch and the 4wd actuator are the most common. However, GM’s 4wd drive system is riddled with obscure failures due to bad connections elsewhere. This means that diagnosing this system can be very challenging.

If you should have more problems with your 4wd, I recommend booking the following inspection. Electrical components are not working Be sure to send the technician a note about what your needs are so he or she can come as prepared as possible.

Good luck!

• 4WD WAS NOT ENGAGING A COUPLE DAYS AGO AND THE SERVICE 4WD CAME ON. NOW ITS WORKING AND NO LIGHT IS ON WHATS WRONG?