Q: 4wd not engageing.

I recently had a lot of stuff replaced in the front end of my truck. I snapped a upper ball join and i had to replace the front differential, new axels, hub assembly on the drivers side, a new strut on the drivers side, upper and lower balljoints and control arms. I noticed that when I got my truck back from the grauge that my 4wd won't engage at all. When I flip the switch, nothing makes a sound underneath and you can't hear it clicking in or even trying to, nothing happens. The differential they put in it was out of a 2013 Titan and only had 20,000 miles on it and they put new synthetic fluid in it. I don't really want to deal with the hassle of taking it back to the grauge and paying to have them look at it. I was wondering if you could point me in a direction to check it out myself. I really appreciate it!

If they recently did any work on differentials, they should have verified the 4wd works before delivering it back to you. I certainly understand not wanting to deal with going back to the shop, but they shouldn’t charge you to look at it. You could look at a few things yourself, first would be to have somebody activate the 4wd switch while you look underneath the truck and see if you can hear the transfer case motor doing anything, and verify it’s plugged in. It will be mounted on the transfer case, which will be at the back of the transmission. If that’s not doing anything, check all the vehicle fuses. If the fuses are all ok, and the transfer case motor is making no noise, I would bring it back to the shop and tell them whats going on. If the shop does try to make you pay, then you can contact a qualified professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose the problem for you at your home or office.

3. 4wd not engageing.