Q: 4th gear

hi there,i have bought this car 2months ago it has 94000km on,it was running fine but now it's 4th gear is not working smoothly,first three gear is fine but after 4th gear it's not working.how much it will cost me to fix it and what could be the problem? thanks

A: Hello. Your transmission appears to be a 6 ...

Hello. Your transmission appears to be a 6 speed model. If no gears after 3rd are functioning properly, you likely have a hydraulic or electronic control fault. A hydraulic fault might be traceable to the valve body and the valves and solenoids therein. Hydraulic faults can also be caused by failed seals and piston actuated clutch packs.

Electronic control issues are external to the transmission and are simply diagnosed using the Factory Service Manual decision tree, unless DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes) have been set. The fault you are experiencing would have to be diagnosed and the cost to repair would depend on the amount of disassembly required.

Often valve body repairs can be performed without removing the transmission from the vehicle. If an internal transmission seal or piston has failed, the entire transmission would have to be removed and essentially rebuilt.

The best thing to do is have a YourMechanic specialist diagnose the shifting problem and once you have a diagnosis in hand, the cost to repair it can be better understood.