Q: 4 wheel drive not working properly!

I have the electronic push button type system. When I try to put it in 4 wheel drive it won't go unless I have the transmission in neutral and then it will only go into 4lo and back to 2hi when pushed, I can hear the actuator working but no 4hi. Also when I'm driving the 2hi light will not stay illuminated. I checked the 6 prong connector that goes to the transfer case motor and they all came in about 5 volts and ground also tested good. Any suggestions? THANK YOU! David.

Hi there. Obviously the best course of action is to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a four wheel drive inspection; however, at first glance, you might want to check the wiring harness that supplies power from the switch to the 4WD module which activates the gear drive. Over time, the wires can wear out and create inconsistent electrical shorts. It’s quite possible that the relay is damaged and not a mechanical issue inside the differential.