Q: 4-set switches on driver's door intermittently don't work

The set of driver’s door window switches (set 4 switches) doesn't always work. It is a random problem and sometimes they do work. When not working, I can control the other three windows with the individual switches on the other three doors, but not from the driver’s door switches. Naturally, I need to be able to control ‘all 4’ windows from the driver’s door. I’m concerned that some day the driver’s door window will go down and not raise back up. My car is an older model and I've never worked on any of the wiring in my car. I feel sure that the problem isn’t the power window fuse since all the other 3 door window switches do work well. It is only the set of 4 switches on the driver’s door that work intermittently. Could it be a bad switch set or a short in the wiring - what is your assessment?

A: Generally, when there is intermittent opera...

Generally, when there is intermittent operation, this is an indication of a loose or broken contact in the wiring. It is common on the Cutlass Cieras for a broken or loose connection between the driver's door harness and the body wiring harness.

The connector is not easy to get to, but the connector and the wiring that bends at the door need to be inspected for loose or broken contacts/wiring. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the tools and expertise to trace down the wiring issue between the window master switch and the body wiring harness.