Q: 2008 toyoto solara v6 with only 36,000 miles, do i need to replace belt and water pump

2008 toyota solara v6 with only 36,000 miles, do i need to replace belt and water pump

If you take a look at your owners’ manual, you will see a section for general maintenance. The maintenance intervals will typically list two parameters: mileage or time. You normally hear people talk about items that will need to be checked/changed at 5,000 miles or 6 months, for example. The reason for the two different intervals is because items can go bad over time, whether they are being driven, or not. I would suggest having the belt checked, at the minimum, but if it were mine, I would go ahead and replace it. Rubber components are very susceptible to a condition known as dry rot. When rubber sits, it will lose its elasticity and begin to crack. The water pump, on the other hand, I would just have checked for leaks, and have the coolant tested for efficacy. If they test alright, I wouldn’t worry about them. The owners’ manual should be able to tell what else will need to be checked. If you feel you need a hand with checking things over and/or making any repairs, contact a certified mechanic, like those available at YourMechanic.com.

• 2008 toyoto solara v6 with only 36,000 miles, do i need to replace belt and water pump