Q: 2006 Mitzubishi Galant suddenly goes into a lower gear while driving 40-50 mph.

2006 Mitzubishi Galant suddenly goes into a lower gear while driving 40-50 mph but when I turn the car off then back on, it does fine. It normally happens after car has been sitting for a while and after driving about 3 miles. What could be the problem?

Unfortunately the age and the high mileage of your Galant may be playing a heavy hand with what you are currently experiencing. Based on the symptoms provided, the shift to lower gear may be due to low or dirty fluid, a failing shift solenoid, perhaps even a failing torque converter. These types of symptoms generally get worse over time and with 200,000 on your Mitsubishi, it may be possible that what once seemed a small concern may have become a larger one.

From my experience, I would conclude that the transmission is likely on its way out. Without knowing the exact condition of the vehicle and if the transmission was maintained by Mitsubishi standards every 30,000 by replacing the fluid and filter, than the best case scenario would be an electrical issue that can be repaired without dropping the transmission. The worst case scenario would be that the transmission will have to be removed out of the car for repair. When this happens the transmission is usually rebuilt.

Answers to the following questions may lead us to a better answer. How long have them symptoms been going on? is there a check engine light on or any other warning lights associated with the symptoms? After turning the car off and on again, does it drives fine? Or will you eventually have to turn the car off and on again?

The best thing to do now would be to have a qualified technician, such as one form YourMechanic, diagnose your shifting issue for you. As there are so many variables to consider, the technician will be able to check your Mitsubishi’s computer for any transmission codes, as well as check the level and condition of the transmission fluid. During a test drive they will use a scanner to communicate with the vehicle, as well as monitor the transmission for important information.

3. 2006 Mitzubishi Galant suddenly goes into a lower gear while driving 40-50 mph.