Q: 2005 Saab 9-5, cannot shift out of park unless I push little release button on left of panel. Why?

Cannot shift out of park. I have to push the little button (I think this is an emergency release) on the left on the shift panel in order to shift out of park. Could this be due to the battery? I noticed this happened right after my battery went dead after leaving the lights on overnight. I read it also could be fuse #1 which corresponds to the brake light, my brake lights are fine though. Any suggestions?

Hi there. It might be that when your battery was replaced a fuse that powers a shift sensor may have been damaged, but that’s highly unlikely. This might be an issue where the linkage is slightly out of alignment, or something completely non-related to the battery issue. The shift-system on a 2005 Saab is pretty advanced and contains multiple electrical and mechanical components, so it’s probably best to have one of our professional mobile mechanics come to your location and complete a car is hard to shift inspection. This will allow them to check your car’s shifter and determine why you’re having this issue.

3. 2005 Saab 9-5, cannot shift out of park unless I push little release button on left of panel. Why?