Q: 2005 Expedtion XLT parking assist fault light stays on. Do not have parking assist or buttons to turn it off.

Just bought a 2005 Expediton XLT. The parking assist light stays on all the time, no way to turn it off. This vehicle does not come with parking assist. It does not have any of the extra buttons. When I start the vehicle the instrument panel goes through what the mileage is then it goes straight to parking assist fault. I've unhooked the battery for 5-10 minutes with no luck. Why would it say this if the car doesn't come with the feature?

The parking assist feature is something that comes standard on most vehicles that does not necessarily have buttons or a switch to operate it. In many cases, this simply consists of sensors in the bumpers that monitor the distance the bumper is from another object. This information is transmitted to the computer which then notifies the driver normally by a series of beeps to let you know how close you are to an object. When these sensors are not functioning correctly, you may notice the symptoms you described. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle to determine what may be causing this.

3. 2005 Expedtion XLT parking assist fault light stays on. Do not have parking assist or buttons to turn it off.