Q: 2003 Tacoma drivers side male door latch

Has been sporadic lately but this morning would not function... Does the door panel need to be removed?

The striker plate is adjustable to some extent. If you having difficulty with the internal locking mechanism within the door, try spraying an appropriate lubricant into the mechanism. If adjustment and lubrication does not resolve the issue, then yes the door panel will have to be removed to get access to the whole lock mechanism for inspection and repair. Typically, it is a lubrication issue and so you should first attempt to make sure there is no binding in the mechanism due to metal on metal contact, corrosion, and dirt. If you want these steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a door lock diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.