Q: Q: Neutral safety switch

When car is in reverse it turns off. It starts fine and drives fine. Only turns off in reverse. Why is it doing that?

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a neutral safety switch that may be malfunctioning. Your vehicle has something called a neutral safety switch that will prevent the vehicle from starting when it is in any gear position other than park or neutral. Occasionally, this switch can malfunction causing the car to stall as soon as you put it into any gear. This switch usually also monitors gear selection data as well, that is transmitted back to the computer. This switch is connected to the starter solenoid which allows it to complete the starter circuit only when the transmission is in park or neutral. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Q: Neutral safety switch