Q: 2000 Mercury Mystique ocassionally only cranks but couldn't start

My car has intermittent startup issues. It has gone 135,000 miles. It occasionally starts up without any problems, but other times it would only crank. It seems as if it doesn't get enough gas. The fuel pump was replaced several years ago. There are no dashboard lights on. What could be causing this?

Hello. Thank you for writing in about your 2000 Mercury Mystique. There are a couple things here that I recommended having a technician check to diagnose the cause of the the no-start condition. The fuel pressure would have to be checked to find out if the vehicle is receiving the proper amount of fuel. There are three sensors related to the fuel that will cause a no fuel condition if they intermittently fail (which they commonly do). These three pieces are the inertia switch, the crank position sensor, and the fuel pump relay. The sensors may intermittently go bad when they become too hot or if they are subject to excessive vibration.