Q: 1999 Volkswagen Beetle overheating. The radaitor top hose was broke. Got a new radiator. How can I check the water pump and the thermostat

1999 vw beetle is overheating . the hose pipe connector on the top of the radiator was broke. got a new radiator to put on. I want to know how can I check the water pump and the thermostat before I put the front of the car back on

Hello. If you wanted to diagnose these other parts, then you would need to use an infrared thermometer to see if the coolant hoses are getting hot and that the radiator is getting hot indicating that the coolant is flowing. If not, then you may have an issue.

Most of the time, if the engine overheats and did not get too hot then it is the thermostat. It can also be caused by a bad water pump if the turbine is failing.

If the engine got really hot, then I would do a block test. This would tell me if there is an internal engine issue such as a head gasket. This test should really be done first before changing any other parts.

If you want to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the overheating issue and replace the water pump or thermostat if necessary.

• 1999 Volkswagen Beetle overheating. The radaitor top hose was broke. Got a new radiator. How can I check the water pump and the thermostat