Q: 1997 Saturn

Coil packs getting fire. Runs rough. Backfires when I step on the gas pedal and no power and the service engine soon stays on flashing? I've replaced plugs and coil pack reset the SES light but it still does the same thing. Is it the crank position sensor?

Hello, thanks for writing in. Since the check engine light is on the best place to start is with the codes. These would help me to determine the problem. It sounds like there is a misfire problem. If that is also associated with a backfire, then you may have a bad valve seat which is common on this engine. A compression test would need to be done to verify this. If the compression is fine then it may be a sensor issue or the wires may be installed wrong. If you want to have this backfire checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.