Q: 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser eating through serpentine belts, why?

I have a 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80, but since about 450,000 miles I have been replacing the front belt that powers the power steering, altenator, and air pump almost every 5k miles. After about that time the belt is severely stretched and missing many teeth in one spot. When I installed a new belt, I noticed when I cranked the engine, the belt would be tight, but when I crank again it'll be a little loose. What could be causing this? This belt is costing me $30 a pop and can't for the live of me figure out why it's eating belts! Thanks for any help, input is appreciated.

Hello there, a few different faults will cause your 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser wear belts quickly. When belts wear this fast it is not an issue with the belt, there is an underlying problem. The most common is a failed belt adjuster / tensioner, an out of line pulley, dragging accessory. A qualified Technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your drivebelt wear and make any repairs required.