Q: 1991 nissan 300zx 5-speed manual, can't get into reverse, no noise, started today out of nowhere.

1991 nissan 300zx 5-speed manual, can't get into reverse, no noise, started today out of nowhere. Doesn't make a difference on off, rolling in reverse, pumping clutch. All other gears work fine.

There are only two possibilities: 1) the shift linkage has a fault; or 2) the synchronizer for reverse, or related parts, are broken. To identify the problem, the recommended service is a failure to shift diagnostic. Once that diagnostic is complete, the mechanic will explain the repair strategy to you in detail, including your options (rebuild, repair, replace, etc.) and estimate the cost. If the transmission has to be removed and rebuilt, YourMechanic professionals in certain locales can assist with that. Please simply inquire based on your locale. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.

3. 1991 nissan 300zx 5-speed manual, can't get into reverse, no noise, started today out of nowhere.